30 September 2011

I look like Jesus Christ (on Rosh Hashanah)

Today I had a wonderful conversation with Lois’s sister, Naomi, this morning about Judaism.  It all started with an explanation of the year 5773.  “How can that be?” she asks.  She wants to learn so much about the religion.  “Can you be a Jew and a Christian?  What about the Jews that believe in Jesus?  Do you believe in Jesus?”  I explain that the mainstream Jewish belief in Jesus is that he was a good man and a great orator who died a tragic death.  No resurrection, no re-resurrection.  Hate to disappoint, lady.  I felt as if I was telling her there is no Santa Clause.  But she was very interested.  The family that we live with went to Israel a few years back on a church trip visiting all the biblical sights.  Additionally, Lois and her sister are in some kind of group made up of Christians who support Israel.  Needless to say, they are very interested in the Jews.

We spoke about the Sabbath.  When Lois and Naomi learned that the real Sabbath is on Saturday, they felt the need to observe the Sabbath, but they had too much work on Saturdays.   So what did the sisters do?  They verified this fact with the Bible, then prayed to God that they should have less work on Saturday so they may rest.  And it worked!  So where to pray?  The Seventh Day Adventists were the only group they knew of that had services on Saturday, but they didn’t like that service.  Then they heard of a Church with a small Saturday service which they started attending and love it. 

In our conversation Naomi said something very sweet.  “Spiritually I am a Jew, but I am born a Christian and so I am Christian.”  She understands Jesus was a Jew and we all came from the Israelite people.  I think it captures a great idea of harmony, at least between Jews and Christians.  But why can’t we have that harmony with the Muslim world?  Muslims are closer to Jews in practice than Christians are.

“You know,” Naomi tells me, “You look like Jesus.  Have you seen pictures of him?”  Of course I do, a Jewish Muzungu, just like Jesus.  She should see the desk I made.